Monday, June 23, 2014

Book Review: The Pledge (The Pledge, #1) by Kimberly Derting

 13547189

Read from January 19 to 20, 2014

 "A gripping dystopian fantasy (Kirkus Reviews) that brims with romance and suspense, from the author of The Body Finder.

In the violent country of Ludania, the language you speak determines your class, and there are harsh punishments if you forget your place;looking a member of a higher class in the eye can result in immediate execution. Seventeen-year-old Charlaina (Charlie for short) can understand all languages, a dangerous ability she's been hiding her whole life. The only reprieve from oppression is within the drug-filled underground club scene. There, she meets a beautiful and mysterious boy who speaks a language she's never heard, and her secret is almost exposed. As the violent clashes between the totalitarian monarchy and the rebel forces escalate, it becomes clear that Charlie is the key to something much bigger: her country's only chance for freedom from the terrible grip of a deadly regime.
Kimberly Derting, author of The Body Finder series, writes powerfully and movingly of a girl with dangerous powers in an unusual and expertly crafted setting."

The Pledge is the first book that I've completed reading on PulseIt and it was mind-blowing!!!

This novel drew me in from the very first word! Actually, first glimpse, because that cover is absolutely amazing! I loved everything about The Pledge! The plot was very intriguing and the characters were really good!

I loved the idea of the Queendoms. It was a pleasant change to read of the struggles of our lead character in a world of girl power! I loved Derting's POV shifts; the way that she lets us glimpse the rest of the entourage just pumps up the excitement!

And then there's Charliena "Charlie"... and Max... and Xander... and Brooklyn... and Angelina!!! Amazingly strong characters; kept me rooting for them from the very beginning! I love the chemistry between Charlie and Max, and Xander's mysterious and witty self! I love the part where Xander curtsies in the ending chapter! And that epilogue!!! So much promise amid steaminess that left me dying for more! Absolutely epic!

So, as you can most obviously see, I loved reading this book (which I did in around 24 hours) and I am dying to read the rest of this trilogy! And this just got a VIP pass to my Amazon wish list ;)

My Goodreads review

No comments

Post a Comment

© bibliosini
Maira Gall