Friday, January 15, 2016

Book Review: Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury


Read from December 13 to 21, 2015
It's the week before Hallowe'en, and Cooger and Dark's Pandemonium Shadow Show has come to Green Town, Illinois. The siren song of the calliope entices all with promises of youth regained and dreams fulfilled... as two boys trembling on the brink of manhood set out to explore the mysteries of the dark carnival's smoke, mazes and mirrors, they will also discover the true price of innermost wishes...
 This book was a huge change from what I've been reading these last few days, so it was quite pleasant to read something classically Gothic! Ha ha!

I loved the classic feeling of the story and the carnival theme really caught on with me! Quite a good plot line. I wasn't too impressed with the characters though, and was far more enamoured by Mr. Dark and his carnival freaks.

Also, the writing style was quite amazing in a way, maybe a bit tedious at times. But I loved the way the author seemed to give life to inanimate objects and that was a huge creepy factor in the story. I especially loved how Bradbury described Mr. Dark; personifying his tattoos made him way creepy!

Overall, I enjoyed this book but there were some parts where I had to make myself read on.

my Goodreads review

No comments

Post a Comment

© bibliosini
Maira Gall