Monday, February 23, 2015

Book Review: A is for Alibi (Kinsey Millhone, #1) by Sue Grafton


Read from February 08 to 12, 2015
PI Kinsey Milhone 32, in a pretty California town, gets her first case. Laurence Fife was a slick divorce lawyer and slippery ladies' man until someone killed him. Released from jail after 8 years, his wife Nikki wants the truth. But the trail is cold, and at the end is a chilling twist - a second eight-year-old murder and a brand new corpse.
This book was an okay read. I just picked it off the shelf cause I was hungover about the Weather Warden series ending but it turned out a bit better than I thought it would!

The beginning was not that interesting cause nothing actually happens much. Even Kinsey doesn't seem to give a damn about the case so that part of the book was pretty "dismissive" about the case.

But I found Grafton's writing style interesting so I hung on.

The excitement genuinely starts to build up somewhere beyond the halfway point of the story. Clues start popping up and the case seems to matter more. Frankly, that's how Kinsey's attitude changes so the story just drifts with her.

However, it wasn't the kind of excitement that has you cheering on the protagonist and gasping when pitfalls turn up; no, it was more like a clinical assessment on the part of the reader. I wasn't actually connected with Kinsey and all I was really concerned about was ending the book, which is frankly a dreadful way to end a story.

So, all this story really was, was a one night stand sort of thing. I don't feel any commitment to read the rest of this series and I don't feel the tiniest bit attached to any of the characters much.

my Goodreads review

No comments

Post a Comment

© bibliosini
Maira Gall