Saturday, July 27, 2013

Book Review: Private Peaceful by Michael Morpurgo


Read from April 02 to 09, 2013
They've gone now, and I'm alone at last. I have the whole night ahead of me, and I won't waste a single moment of it... I want tonight to be long, as long as my life...
As young Thomas Peaceful looks back over his childhood from the battlefields of the First World War, his memories are full of family life deep in the countryside.
But the clock is ticking, and every moment he spends remembering how things used to be, means another moment closer to something which will change his life for ever.
This was so beautiful! I've always loved English countrysides and this was so perfect! There was something so radiant about the Peacefuls' lives and then you can literally feel that radiance dulling into a somber gray as the war approaches!

I'll admit that Morpurgo was and is one of my all-time favourites. I've read a handful of his books before and they were really good, but Private Peaceful was by far the most beautiful! Personally, I wouldn't have read the book if I hadn't read about in Wordsmith, but reading it was a truly marvellous experience!

Tommo was the main character here, but Morpurgo had me loving Charlie from the first chapter itself. There was something very charming and attractive about Charlie that made me go, "Oh, I love him!" from the very first.

Oh, and that ending! It was amazing! Sad, yes, but truly amazing! It brought me to tears reading those last paragraphs! And it was soooo unexpected! I was literally punched in the gut by that ending! Absolutely marvellous!

Even when remembering the book after a week or so, I feel compelled to try and jump into that world! Its charm and beauty never ran out!

No comments

Post a Comment

© bibliosini
Maira Gall